VWR Feature Highlights
Visual Web Ripper contains a wealth of advanced features that enables you to harvest data from even the most difficult websites. Our web scraping software contains far too many features to list them all here, so we'll show a few of the most important features that make our software so powerful and easy to use.
The Project Editor
Designing web scraping projects is easy with the visual project editor. No scripting or coding is required. Simply load the website in the built-in web browser and use your mouse to point and click on the content your want to extract and the links you want to follow. Configure a project to follow hundreds of links by just a few clicks.
The project editor contains tools to assist you developing data extraction patterns that work even when the page layouts changes slightly, and it's all done by simple point and click operations.
Easily Capture Complete Content Structures
Visual Web Ripper can be configured to download complete content structures, such as product catalogs. You only have to configure a few templates and the web scraper will figure out the rest and download all the data for you.
Our web scraping software has many advanced features to help you optimize web scraping performance and reliability. Such features are very important if you want to scrape data from thousands or even hundreds of thousands of web pages.
Repeatedly Submit Web Forms
Our web scraping software can submit web forms, such as search forms or online booking forms. A web form can be submitted for all possible input values, so a web scraping project could be configured to submit a hotel booking form for all possible room types for example.
An input CSV file or a database query can be used to feed input values to a web form, so you could create a CSV file with thousands of search keywords and submit a search form for each keyword.
Export Data to Almost Anywhere
Visual Web Ripper can export extracted web data to almost anywhere. You can export data to CSV, Excel, XML, SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle and OleDB. You can also use an export script to completely customize data exports if you have basic programming skills.
Our web scraper software can export data to Excel 2003+ and take advantage of features in Excel 2007+ such as outlining and embedded images.
Data is exported automatically to your chosen export destination when a data extraction project completes, so you don't have to export data manually. However, you can always export extracted data manually at any time to any export destination.
Harvest Data Undetected
Most people want to stay undetected when they scrape web data. If you are running an online shop and want to scrape your competitors' prices to compare with your own prices, then you probably don't want your competitors to know about it.
Visual Web Ripper can make it almost impossible to detect your web scraping activity. Visual Web Ripper can use an instance of Internet Explorer to connect to a website and if you also add a random time delay between requests, your web scraping activity will look like just another web user. You can also configure a web scraping project to use a list of proxy servers in order to hide your IP address.
We offer a FREE account at Private Proxy Switch for our customers and trial users to use with Visual Web Ripper. Private Proxy Switch is a high performance proxy server with a large pool of IP addresses. A new IP address is randomly assigned to you when you make a request for a new webpage, making it impossible to detect your identity, and very difficult to detect and block your web scraping activity.
Schedule Web Scraping Sessions
Scheduling is a very important part of web scraping. If you are scraping stock quotes and currency rates for example, you would probably want to scrape the data at least once a day, and it would quickly become tedious to run the web scraping project manually every time.
Visual Web Ripper provides many useful scheduling options. An email can be sent to you every time a web scraping project completes, or an email can be sent only when the project fails.
Run Web Scraping Sessions from the Command-Line
Visual Web Ripper has a command-line utility you can use to run web scraping projects silently from the Windows command-line. This provides a very easy mechanism for running web scraping projects from nearly any Windows application including websites.
You can pass input parameters to a web scraping project through the command-line, so you could build a website where visitors can enter a search keyword, and the website could then pass the search keyword to a web scraping project that extracts data from a 3rd party website.
Deep Integration with the Comprehensive API
Our web scraping software has a completely open API, so you can control nearly everything from your own applications. You can create and modify web scraping projects, run the projects and read the extracted data using the API.
Please notice that we only provide limited support and documentation for the API.
And much much more...
There are simply too many features to list, but here are a few more that may interest you.
- Semi-automatic data extraction from web sites using CAPTCHA protection. This can be fully automated using a third party decaptcha service.
- Duplicate data detection and removal. You can also use duplicate detection to stop web scraping when old data is reached. This is very useful when extracting data from websites such as forums.
- You can extract website data from most framesets and iframes with our web scraping software.
- You can supply parameter data from a database or CSV file, such as form input values or URLs that should be visited.
- Unique selection features allow you to extract website data from web pages with an unstructured "flow" of content. Most other web data extraction tools are unable to extract data from such web pages.
- You can extract many different types of data with our web scraping software, such as text, links, images, files, meta tags, tag attributes and many more. You can even extract screenshots of webpages or elements within a webpage.
- You can extract data from documents such as PDF or Docx documents by using 3rd party document converters. See 3rd party tools for more information.
- Custom scripting in C#, VB.NET or Regex allows transformation of content as it is being extracted.
- Condition scripts in C# or VB.NET allow you to control the process flow.